[MLB-WIRELESS] Internet Feed offer.

magrathea at subdimension.com magrathea at subdimension.com
Wed Jan 16 00:17:01 EST 2002

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Tony Langdon, VK3JED wrote:

> >Aye what - should be more like 500kiloBITs/sec = 62.5 kilobytes/sec =
> >half a Mbit
> >8bit = 1 byte
> >feel silly posting this as others on list have a much deeper
> >understanding than I (hope I got it right)
>
> Nope, Optus goes well into the multi megabit range :)

ftp> get sol-8-u6-sparc-v1.zip
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for sol-8-u6-sparc-v1.zip
(357845881 bytes).
226 Transfer complete.
357845881 bytes received in 8.8e+02 seconds (396.70 Kbytes/s)
ftp>

Damn right :-) It'd probably be quicker if I upgraded the 25MHz
firewall/router Solaris 2.6 box.  (yes I have the server license)

Couple of things:

1. how can creating an AUP, (like bigpuddle), stop warez and crap clogging
the network? VPN's/encryped sessions, etc, can very easily hide what ppl
are doing. ( I've read all the posts about snitching on ppl ) I dont want
to start any flame wars here... Just things to think about or not... I
guess you could bandwidth limit ppl who are transferring too much... now
this really sounds like bigpuddle!

2. I thought one idea of this network was to provide free services for
ppl. Ie: I will be running: http server and an ftp server (loads of free
stuff.. ie: open/net/freebsd images, loads of stuff on solaris, etc.) I
thought of having some sort of default www page every node or AP should
have on there system. ie:  network settings, node information, services
offered etc... This way if you find a node you know exactly what it has to
offer. It could possible help on reducing duped information.

3. Good place for MMCX connectors. (its in the states, but the only place
I have been able to source them: www.jameco.com)

4. Does anyone want to swap a SCM PCI adapter for an ISA one? ie: I have a
PCI card to hold a wireless card, can't use it as of this weekend, need an
ISA one. :-) If no, then I'll be putting an order in from www.ezywave.com.
If anyone's interested let me know. (I'll post an update before I order
it)

btw: ISA card must work in open/netbsd.  The card I have works in anything
from windows to solaris. (pity there aren't any pcmcia wireless drivers
for solaris, yet..... working on it.)

I dont post here much, and havebeen lacking one important thing to setting
up a node... _TIME_ :-(

---
Danny
Don't forget to bring a towel! (c) Towelie
http://thirdeye.dodgyware.com