[MLB-WIRELESS] Hang on a tick before you all get carried away ...ok Clae.

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Fri Jan 11 08:30:16 EST 2002

> I think the jury is still out on this one.  Remember, the
> original DARPA
> Internet vision was for a hardened battlefield network that
> was resilient
> in the face of failure.

And even the uncontrolled Internet has succeeded in the face of numerous
threats from hostile people.

> What it wasn't designed for was hostile network nodes.  In the 802.11
> context I think we can do something about that (except for
> the guys with
> the 2.4GHz noise generators).

Hehe that's me!  :-)  But I'll wear the white hat

> We've been over this before.  A network of the people, by the
> people, for
> the people.  The network will be what YOU make it.  If you don't do
> anything, you won't get anything.

If I can do something "cool" with it (like connect up the guy down the road
and swap a few files), I'll be happy.  BTW, he's showing some interest in
the idea. :-)

> Computers cost money.  Just like cars.  Spend lots of money
> on a new car,
> get a warranty and servicing.  Or buy an older car for less
> and expect to
> fork out more for servicing.
>
> Some people just want to drive the car.  Some people like to
> understand
> how they work.

That's actually quite a good analogy.  The vast majority of people with a
car are drivers (whether good or bad is another question! ;) ).  A small
percentage are the tinkerers and mechanics who vary from fixing minor car
problems right up to building a car from scratch and wholesale mods.

Similarly with computers, some people just want to load up a word processor
and type.  Others want to build the PC first, then install the OS and tweak
away (in over 10 years, I can still say I've _never_ bought a complete PC -
closest I've come to that was buying a box of components last month that I
put together myself! :) ).

In the wireless cntext, I'm even "worse", because I like to play with the
medium (radio) itself as well!  Hmm, sounds like the car owner who also
builds his own roads, and then wants to modify the tar composition to suit
local climate and his tyres!. :-)

---
Outgoing mail has been scanned for viruses

This correspondence is for the named person’s use only. It may contain