[MLB-WIRELESS] Hang on a tick before you all get carried away...ok Clae.

Adrian Close adrian at close.wattle.id.au
Thu Jan 10 20:09:44 EST 2002

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Lucas Lozo wrote:

> 6.  Having a "un-regulated or un-controlled" network will open its self
> to abuse and eventual failure.

I think the jury is still out on this one.  Remember, the original DARPA
Internet vision was for a hardened battlefield network that was resilient
in the face of failure.

What it wasn't designed for was hostile network nodes.  In the 802.11
context I think we can do something about that (except for the guys with
the 2.4GHz noise generators).

> 7.  If some one donates Time, money, equipement, facilities, you cannnot
> expect a "reasonable service".

We've been over this before.  A network of the people, by the people, for
the people.  The network will be what YOU make it.  If you don't do
anything, you won't get anything.

> 8.  Biggest attraction i have seen for wireless lan for a lot of people
> is internet access,
>     so where is the net access going to come from? If you read most
> ISP's service aggreement,

Patience, grasshopper.  The way forward is not yet clear.  Those who are
just in it for the Internet access should pitch in with the rest of us and
start building networks to Internetwork.  I'm not being flippant - this
last is quite a serious statement - read it a few times.

Yes, there are legal issues.  We must learn the law and work with it.
This will take time.  Patience.

> 9.  Another attraction for people is able to swap "Pirated Software"
> (ooh bad word here).
>     To spend many $$$ to gain access to P.D. software seems pointless to
> me.
>     And having written software before, i understand what time and money
> is involved,
>     and would be very upset if some one was ripping it off.

Lucas, wake up and smell the open source/free software.  You might have
noticed things like Linux and BSD in your travels.  Personally, I think
access to mirror sites via a high-speed wireless network is quite
attractive and can potential save me many thousands of dollars.

Of course there will be illicit activity.  Show me a human community where
this isn't the case.  But that is NOT the reason for building the network.

> 10. Some of the Costs in setting up wireless-lan seem to be slightly
> mis-leading.

Computers cost money.  Just like cars.  Spend lots of money on a new car,
get a warranty and servicing.  Or buy an older car for less and expect to
fork out more for servicing.

Some people just want to drive the car.  Some people like to understand
how they work.

> My Opinions and issues i believe should be discussed..

I believe that is what we are doing.

Don't stop posting.  But please think hard about the answers you get back
- people are devoting significant effort trying to enlighten you.  :)

Adrian Close			email:	adrian at close.wattle.id.au
1 Old Gippsland Rd.		web:	http://www.close.wattle.id.au/~adrian
Lilydale, VIC, 3140, Australia	mobile:	+61 412 385 201