[MLB-WIRELESS] What can I get on Melb Wireless.

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Thu Jan 10 15:24:42 EST 2002

> old p100 for $100, maybe but if i wanted one to buy one
> tommorrow, prob
> cost $200-$300 with monitor.

Depends who you know and how much patience you have. :-)  My P200 Linux box
cost me nothing...  company throwout.  Included a monitor. :-)

Oh, and I got a 17" monitor for free in the deal too! :-)

OK, not everyone's going to be able to manage that, but just pointing out
being nice, supporting good ideas and knowing a few people doesn't go astray
(neither does pushing a cause - that windfall came about because I was
looking for donations for Melbourne's first IRLP node, and the guy got some
extra hardware from his work :) ).

> Aerial for $30, what about must, fastners etc..

Again, one can scrounge, or it might be a short path that doesn't need a
tall mast.

> If you say you can supply all that at around $500, i will
> give you $200
> for your trouble!!

Well, I think I'm mostly there.  Against the background (basically zero cost
so far), one can see why cards are a sticking point. :-)  But I'm patient,
and will wait for the right opportunity to come along. :-)

> I still say will cost around $1000 and probably a little more once you
> install it.
> By my calculation using the cheapest hardware i know of, and using s/h
> antenna is $1055 for parts alone not labour.

Well, I reckon I could break the $300 barrier, and that's without shopping
for cards.  Possibly as low as $100 if I wanted to skimp and go for FHSS
cards (which would obviously have to be dedicated to a link). :)

Wireless has recently gone up a notch in priority, as a new ham down the
road could be talked into it, and we're only about 500m apart (he can hear
me on 1W VHF when I use a dummy load :) ).

> Filesharing/ Video conferencing is only good if you want to talk to
> other melb Wireless users, and how many are online 24/7? I
> would want to
> talk to people interstate/overseas, local is of no interest as phone
> call is cheap.

How many can you fit in a conference call?  Can you do video?  As for
interstate, we could surf a grey zone and setup a tunnel between the fastest
points on each WLAN.  Amateurs have used this technique for over a decade in
our "packet wrmholes", so no reason why tunneling between WLANs couldn't be
used in strategic positions.

> And you mention 100's of megabyts of stuff, what stuff?? who
> or where is
> this going to be housed?

I got a heap of downloaded shareware...  Might be handy to throw online for
people who are stuck on modems.

> Just looking for a good reason.

Because it's there? :-)

Hey, I've got $$$ of radio gear for no other purpose than yakking to people
or doing experiments...  so once I have someone to connect to, no reason why
I can't play with a WLAN :)

---
Outgoing mail has been scanned for viruses