[MLB-WIRELESS] Galaxy Antennas

Richard Talbot richardt at frontline.com.au
Thu Jan 10 13:10:51 EST 2002

As I said in the original email, attach a short cable and N connector so
people could buy a Nic, Pigtail, premade length of LMR-400, and plug it
straight in ready to go.

    In order to modify them you need to:
        Remove the guts
        Cut the dipole off,
        Drill a larger hole on the metal piece at the bottom
        Feed through the coad and solder to the board without shorting the
shield to the core
        Re-glue the feedhorn together
        Hope that the glue you used will hold the thing together.

My feeling was that not everyone would have time, interest or skills to do
this.  A secondhand, modified Galaxy Antenna is a much beter deal than a new
commercial job (although you get slightly less performance).  Others of us
like to build and know how to solder and terminate antenna feeds properly.
Each to his own.

Richard