[MLB-WIRELESS] bandwidth sharing application

LongHAUL mhall at moonbus.net
Thu Jan 10 02:03:21 EST 2002

I have been poking around writing a bandwidth sharing app for a while now. I
am going to run it by you guys - tell me if you think this is going to be
legal to use with melbwireless - with carrrier restrictions etc.

I have been working on the idea ever since bigpond capped us at 3 gig - I
wanted a way eat some of my friends 'unlimited' bandwidth. The app is
basically a distributed gozilla/getright kinda program. I drag a link onto
the client software on my machine, it sends the link url to the guy with the
phat net connection and downloads to his computer - he then burns my stuff
onto cds and I wander over and pick it up. It is not really providing
internet access - just a way to download particular files.

This would also work very well with melbwiress with a few modifications:

Scenario:

Node A:
    melbwireless node + no internet access
Node B:
    melbwireless node + cable internet
Node C:
    melbwireless node + dialup

Scenario 1:
-Node C wants to download the latest directx - he goes to microsoft.com,
finds thats its 24meg, so drags the link onto the bandwidth sharing client.
-directx13.exe appears on the download client on Node B.
-Node B clicks OK to download.
-The client on Node B downloads the file in no time, and then sends it to
Node C via melbwireless.
-Node A peeks at his bandwidth sharing client and feels left out so he also
sucks down the file through melbwireless, from B or C.

Is this breaking any carrier restrictions?
Is this any different to Node B burning a cd with the file and walking it
over the Node C?
Could Node B charge Node C for this service?

There are lots of different ways this could work if we can do it - voting
for files, checking local file caches yadda yadda yadda....

Any comments?

Micheal Hall
ebase3 Interactive
www.ebase3.com.au