[MLB-WIRELESS] legality of Internet on community wireless

Roger Venning r.venning at telstra.com
Wed Jan 9 22:59:53 EST 2002

I agree Hamish, people shouldn't be participating because of a mistaken
perception that someone 'out there' is going to gift them free broadband
Internet. However after reading the Telecommunications Act 1997 for the
past hour now
(http://scaleplus.law.gov.au/html/pasteact/2/3021/top.htm), I'm not so
sure that it is illegal. It comes down to the fact (section 42) that it
is illegal to use a 'network unit' to supply a carriage service to the
public unless one is a carrier.

However, the definition of network unit (a 'designated
radiotelecommunications facility', oa 'line link', etc. - sections 26-29
+ 30-35) specifically excludes in section  34(1)(h) "an exempt network
if...the network is used, or for use, for the sole purpose of supplying
carriage services on a non-commercial basis;" (34(3)(b)). So in fact,
the equipment may not constitute a 'network unit', so supplying carriage
service to the public (of course, on a non-commercial basis) may be
possible - ie. Internet packets might be permitted to traverse the network.

However exactly what 'non-commercial basis' constitutes is unclear; also
the definition regards 'double-ended interconnection' (35(1)(b)) that
suggests supporting transit over a radio-communications link between
network units is what constitutes a fixed radiocommunication link
(making the link itself a network unit). If only one connection to a
'carrier-polluted' network unit is made from the cloud, then everything
is OK...

Beware though; I am not a lawyer nor a legistlator.

Roger.

Hamish Moffatt wrote:

>On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 02:47:51PM +1100, Simon Hall wrote:
>
>>I think the real issue here is that people want to be able to connect to the
>>internet.  Not just a community network.  It does appear, for this to move
>>

>So do these people actually want a wireless connection, or just
>a cheap broadband Internet connection by any means possible?
>
>The latter isn't really possible -- somebody has to pay.
>
>Besides, providing Internet over the wireless network isn't legal.
>
>Hamish

Roger Venning	\ Do not go gentle into that good night
Melbourne        \ Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Australia <r.venning at bipond.com>                 Dylan Thomas