[MLB-WIRELESS] grumpy people - get a move on

Jason Hecker jason at air.net.au
Wed Jan 9 16:14:51 EST 2002

>Seriously, I think you need to forget the Internet access aspect
>altogether.  That's just a whole different ball game.

I have cable and there is absolutely no way I'll be acting as a
gateway/proxy for the wireless network to get access to the net.  I think a
very viable network can be started with wireless stuff, and in a city the
size of Melbourne in time it could grow to a size that would make it very
usable.

>Legally we can't do it anyway as far as I understand.

Not without a carrier license.  It should be made absolutely clear to
everyone that the Internet at large will _NOT_ be accessible via this
network.  If it is, then the network would be in serious breach of the law
and no doubt the Authoritahs will be unhappy.  God knows if they'd do
anything though.  It'd be up to individuals if they did provide some sort
of gateway.  What's to stop someone hosting an IRC or game server that can
be seen by both the Internet and Melbwireless even though there'd be no way
to directly connect the two networks (hence no DCC between the networks for
instance.)

>   The only people who are going to be interested are people interested in
> developing a wireless community, consisting of file swapping, a small
> catalogue of web sites, games servers, chat servers, etc.

Precisely my interest.  Apart from the coolness factor there should be
enough content to keep most of us busy and interested.  It'll only be as
good as individuals are prepared to make it.  Hosting various services
should be a breeze for most people.