[MLB-WIRELESS] grumpy people

Adrian Close adrian at close.wattle.id.au
Wed Jan 9 13:17:15 EST 2002

Lucas,

You need to think outside the 802.11-to-provide-wireless-Internet-access
box.  It's not just about sharing cable connections.  It can also be about
building a network to share resources within the network.  For example:

- messaging (email, video conferencing, instant messaging, chat, et al)
- gaming
- mirrors
- etc.

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Lucas Lozo wrote:

> Its a expensive cost to a individual who wants to create a node for the
> benefit of others.

Not really.  The expense is somewhat proportional to the service an
individual wants to provide.  At one end, you can simple whack a card in a
machine and provide service to whoever happens to be in range.  Or you can
convert disused AM broadcast towers to 802.11... :)

And the service itself can be whatever you feel like provide - just access
to some local data, perhaps.  Or access to a larger network at whatever
data rate you feel is appropriate.

> To someone that has thrown in $$$ in creating a access point will want
> some resonable bandwitch for him self (why should he not if he invested
> a number of dollars).

Yup.  So limit the bandwidth you make available to others and reserve some
for yourself.  The technology exists.

> Reliability, how can other (users, leeches etc..) rely on a access point
> that is situated in some one else home, if he turns it off, goes on
> holidays or locks up etc.

Don't rely on anything.  This is the co-operative anarchy part of the
equation.  If it's there, use it.  If it goes away, replace it.  If you
don't like it, fix it.

> who is going to regulate what uses get on and control their bandwidth
> usage..

Everyone and no-one.  If you don't want to provide access to other people,
don't.  If you want to charge for it, fine (but make sure you've jumped
through the legal hoops).  Your site's policy is your own.  If it's
interesting to other people, they'll use it.  If not, they won't, and
that's fine too.  Hopefully you at least will get something out of your
own site, otherwise there's little point in running it!  :)

> You can have all the best intentioned people you like involved which all
> all good and great, but there will always a few individuals who will
> ruin the service for a number of reasons.

Yup.  And I can really ruin your day with a 2.4GHz noise source too.

Simply not doing something because someone _might_ ruin it runs contrary
to the human spirit.  Why do anything?  The Sun is going to go nova and
toast everything anyway.

But we don't all sit at home gibbering in fear of the bright light in the
sky.  We get off our butts and do stuff.  Because we can.  Because it's
fun.  Because, as humans, we need to feel a sense of achievement.

Think about it.

Adrian Close			email:	adrian at close.wattle.id.au
1 Old Gippsland Rd.		web:	http://www.close.wattle.id.au/~adrian
Lilydale, VIC, 3140, Australia	mobile:	+61 412 385 201

Echelon teaser: MD5 RX-7 SSL Kiwi TRD DEADBEEF Bubba