[MLB-WIRELESS] Getting equipment for testing

Jason Hecker jason at air.net.au
Mon Jan 7 16:23:11 EST 2002

>The "melbwireless network" is a different kettle of fish.  If that goes
>down, we may be pissed, but it's not going to cost us $$$ in lost business.

Well, if the Melbwireless network is based more on a mesh rather than point
to point star nodes then noise may not play such a big role.  This is where
OSPF is so advantageous as it can (hopefully) deal with broken routes and
redirect traffic via other nodes in the area, so long as the nodes can see
each other.  Such a mesh would diminish the reliance on hard to obtain and
organise elevated locations.  I was thinking it'd be even better if the
router software would throttle the transmit power, only sending as much as
needed for the link, this will keep ambient noise down for other users.

I guess we can discuss this on Friday at the BBQ, but I would say some sort
of control would be needed with Melbwireless to limit access to authorised
users to try and minimise spamming from them war-scanner types.

What I envisage would be that one could download the Melbwireless Linux
router floppy/CD image (this would have authorising software, OSPF/Zebra,
FreeSwan/CIPE), register ones node, configure it and off one goes.  To go
even further, scope to allow mobile users too would be good.

A mesh though would increase latencies (so it'd affect gaming ping times)
but it'd also greatly increase reliability (so the theory goes).  These are
all things we'd have to experiment with.  That and maybe clever use of
channel diversity and power throttling.