[MLB-WIRELESS] Getting equipment for testing

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Mon Jan 7 15:18:48 EST 2002

> Theory is that I can implement a more cost effective method
> than NDD1 b/w
> two points in our WAN.  We pay approximately $300 p/m for 64k.. I am
> estimating about a 3k cost.  The link is 4-5k, with a
> possible repeater
> required.  I need to test the link first before I can get the
> approval to
> purchase the equipment for real.  I know it can be done...but
> management
> want real live proof.

OK, Keep in mind the reliability as well.  All it would take to screw you up
is one amateur TV station on 2.4 GHz close to the path... And guess who has
protection! :)  And don't cound on the spread spectrum offering much
protection from interference.  The ATV station will be 18 MHz wide and
running much more power.  Fortunately for those in the northwest, I can unly
generate 50 mW on this band, so you're safe from me for a while... :)

(clue:  it's not the unlicenced service)...

Just one of the "gotchas" when trying to use this technology for long range.
Companies in the US have been bitten...

The "melbwireless network" is a different kettle of fish.  If that goes
down, we may be pissed, but it's not going to cost us $$$ in lost business.

---
Outgoing mail has been scanned for viruses