[MLB-WIRELESS] Fitzroy Tower update

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Thu Jan 3 08:32:15 EST 2002

> 3. Hope for a lucky break and get my hands on a second hand
> commercial /
> broken commercial antenna and repair it. (estimated cost - somewhere
> inbetween the two above)

I have my spy looking for more broken 2.4 GHz antennas.  If something comes
up (could take a while though), I'll let the list know and it'll be up for
grabs. :)

> Problem 5:
> How do I make sure it is all going to work before I spend all
> this money and
> stick it up there?
>
> Solution:
> Erm - obviously I can't. But I think one of the most
> expensive bits of this
> whole operation is going to be the cherry picker. I am happy
> to go ahead and
> try and get this working on the ground - if it doesn't work
> then as Tony
> said - I am going to have a damn great little office wireless
> network :)

Hehehe, and we could always have a few "demon driving" days before you hoist
the thing up.  Put the AP on the roof and whoever's suitably equipped can
drive around with a laptop and wireless node. :)

> How many actual working aerial + pc combos do we have working so far?
> Has anyone tested omni + lots of clients yet?
> If possible it would be great to get as many as we could to one of the
> monthly meets to see how this goes.

That's another thought.  I could fix my antenna and bring it along to the
BBQ/meet. :)

> and my utter lack of wireless knowledge - so all input / suggestions /
> advice are most welcome.

Well, I'm sure I can help with the lack of RF knowledge (and also, it's too
good a tower to waste - what else would you like to learn about? ;) ).

---
Outgoing mail has been scanned for viruses