[MLB-WIRELESS] Fitzroy Tower update

Jason Hecker jason at air.net.au
Thu Jan 3 08:07:46 EST 2002

>top and bottom to keep it from swaying, and the tower would create a lot
>of reflections if you hang it thru the middle or against the side. im sure
>we could come up with an engineering marvel to fix this though... like
>mouting the omni to a large

I have seen lots of masts with antennas sticking out half way down.  The
mast may or may not be an impediment.  I'll look into it.  What would be
good is to get one of the cards with two antenna ports (like the Senao one)
and have the omni antennas spaced vertically by 1/4-1/2 a metre or
so.  This would help eliminate some fading problems due to multipath and
the 2 port cards will select the antenna with the best signal.  Just be
sure both cable runs are exactly the same length.

On top of this, it'd be cheapest and best to have the card housed in an old
P133 box at the base of the mast.  I am sure 15m (or 30m) of LMR1700 and a
P133 would be cheaper than an AP.  And rest assured as soon as the AP is
high up on the mast there'd be reason to get it back down again.

>another question is how much gain do you want on that omni? too low and
>it's not going to reach very far, but too high and you'll go over the
>heads of people nearby...

The 5dBi omnis Tellus is selling look perfect for the job to me.

jASON