[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: [Oz-ISP] Wireless..... ABC 7:30 report tonight. (fwd)

sanbar sandbar at ozemail.com.au
Thu Feb 28 10:24:54 EST 2002

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 14:16:58 +1100 (EST)
From: Saliya Wimalaratne <saliya at hinet.net.au>
To: Jamie Lovick <jalovick at doof.org>
Cc: aussie-isp at aussie.net
Subject: Re: [Oz-ISP] Wireless.....  ABC 7:30 report tonight.

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Jamie Lovick wrote:

> As quoted from someone I know that has been looking into the rules:
>
> Actually a few things that are legal regardless, if it's under 500m or 5km
> using relay, and if all network units belong to the same person, or

foo.

http://www.aca.gov.au/licence/index.htm

"Telecommunications licences must be held by a carrier. A carrier is an
owner of network units used to supply carriage services to the public. In
summary, network units are line links exceeding 500 metres, or designated
radiocommunications links, such as mobile service base stations, or
satellite based facilities."

the distance rule applies to 'line links' not 'radiocommunications links'
from my reading of the above. 'the public' is where you might be able to
scrape through on a technicality (though this has been refuted by the ACA
when we asked about it, you're welcome to try :)