[MLB-WIRELESS] 802.11b

Dennis dennis at ozisp.com.au
Thu Feb 28 17:19:28 EST 2002

And as an ISP, shouldn't be pumping data through it anyway.

I thought all we were trying to do was connect a few computers together
across town so we could share some stuff, play some games and have a
good time.

Why would we want to get involved with an ISP anyway, most if not all of
us have our own internet connections elsewhere anyway, and if an ISP
wanted to jump on the wireless network and allow access to it for all
their customers then I would hope not only they pay for a carriers
license but they also pay some compensation to the wireless network as a
whole.

Allowing access to the wireless network from within the borders of an
ISP for any reason should not be allowed, its unfair to us people who
have layed the groundwork and spent our own money to get this of the
ground, only to have an ISP selling our network to its customers.
If the ISP wanted involvement then the best option would be to set up an
access point separate from its business side of things, and then resell
hardware to its customers, effectively becoming part of the network
separately from the ISP industry.

It's not clearly stated that the nodes are actually illegal, considering
that to be a node you are more or less going to be the owner of the
equipment therefore you are always using your own network link and
considering that its not illegal to use the link if you are the owner,
and you are not providing a service to the public, then its not illegal
to use the network at all.

EG: I have a laptop and a wireless card and I connect to joes over in
the next suburb, then at that point I own half the network and joe owns
the other half, there is zero public involvement and no laws have been
broken.

For what its worth though I don't even understand why laws bother to be
written, because 95% of people cant understand them, and the 5% that do
understand them will stand up in court and deny that's what it means
anyway.

I vote that we build this network, and have some fun.

Grokk.