[MLB-WIRELESS] Newbie Help - PLS some pointers

lkhoo at csc.com.au lkhoo at csc.com.au
Thu Feb 21 11:55:53 EST 2002

----- Forwarded by Lucas Khoo/GIS/CSC on 21/02/2002 12:01 PM -----
|         |           Lucas Khoo       |
|         |           20/02/2002 03:37 |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                      |
  |       To:      melbwireless at wireless.org.au                                                                          |
  |       cc:                                                                                                            |
  |       Subject: Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] Newbie Help - PLS some pointers(Document link: Lucas Khoo)                         |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

>I got no response to my earlier mail,
ok i'll bite (i am only starting at this aswell so if someone else has
better info then plz help!)

>but i really really  wanna join the exsisting network.

Network? when did this happen? where where???? ;)
nah .. At the moment there are only little connections all over the place,
unless there is a secret underground network run by anarchic individuals
that  has been hidden from me! Then again Lilydale isn't exactly Silicon
Valley! I see cows on the way to work ffs!

 There is no such "backbone" type infrastructure hooking them all together
*yet* if thats what you mean.

You've arrived at a point in time in which people are at the
pioneering/setup stage of the network. People are working out the
technology, software and other issues as well as trying different stuff out
(did you see the pringle can antenna yet?)

>What antenna do i use?

Depends on who you are trying to connect to.
Direct point to point? The old galaxy pay-tv directional antenna's seem to
be quite popular (getting one today from Shane Chubb who went around
grabbing a few).

did you see the antenna's page on the wireless site?
http://melbwireless.dyndns.org/stories.php?topic=2
Have a look at some of the different articles. Go the coffee can!!!

>Do i just set up the antenna and point it to my nearest  node?

Have you put your details into the nodedb on the melbwireless website? If
not plz do and have a look at who is around you. if there is someone
operating then send them an email saying that you'd be interested in
hooking up. I doubt they'd knock you back unless its a private network.

http://melbwireless.dyndns.org/~drew/

>If i do setup a client/server, what ip address do i assign  it?

urr ... as far as i know there is no *formal* agreement on ip address
allocation, this is not an excuse to bring the wole postcode thing back
upeveryone!!! ;)
So pick one! Eventually when there is some sort of mesh/backbone or
whatever everyones going to have to change ip's to what ever is agreed upon
anyway.

Lucas