[MLB-WIRELESS] Newbie Help - PLS some pointers

Glen Brunning bchild at melbwireless.dyndns.org
Wed Feb 20 16:18:28 EST 2002

Hi Harman,

>I got no response to my earlier mail, but i really really wanna join the
>exsisting network.

Okies, where abouts are you located and is there a node close to you??

>I have read the "Getting Started" on the website but really dont know
>where to start. If some one has there own website or a How to pls let me
>know. Some specific questions i have ..

Yes, I'm aware that it does need updating, but time and work have slowed myself
and Steve down... working on it though.. :)

>What antenna do i use?
That will depend on whether you want to connect to just 1 person in a certain
direction or to many people in your area.

>where do i get the antenna from?
If you are just wanting to connect to 1 person in a particular direction, then
you can go looking around your neighbour hood for an old style galaxy antenna,
if there around, depending on what type you get, then you have to mod it or not.

If you wish to become a access point then a omni antenna is probally a better
thought then.  As for where to get them, Hills have these antennas, i think i
remember seeing someone on the list had some.  Plus the guys in Perth @ e3 have some
180 degree antennas as well.

>Do i just set up the antenna and point it to my nearest node?
Basically that is the goal, if you just want to connect, but if you would like to
share which is up to you, then if the distance isn't a problem to the nearest node
then a omni would be best... :)

>If i do setup a client/server, what ip address do i assign it?
As for IP address and SSID's then you would have to get in contact with the nearest
node and ask them whether they are willing to share with you.  And what there IP
and SSID is..

>I am sure i will run into lotta trouble so if some one does have a how
>to plsssss, i really wanna learn and play with this

Stay tuned we're working on a more informative and detailed howto, I might actually
get in contact with the other groups and see what they have and might get a
universal howto going or something.. :)

Hope this helps a little.

Regards
Glen Brunning