[MLB-WIRELESS] Airport

magrathea at subdimension.com magrathea at subdimension.com
Tue Feb 19 03:24:39 EST 2002

On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Robbie Werner wrote:

> I just wanted to check if it was possible to have two Macs with Airport
> Cards, say an iBook and a G4 Cube, forming a network?
>
> You don't NEED a Base Station do you?

No. You dont.

tibook <-> openbsd (lucent 2mbit)
tibook <-> thinkpad (linux, 11mbit lucent)

other network here <-> openbsd	<-> thinkpad
				<-> tibook

openbsd box was acting as AP.

To get 2 macs to talk is easy.
Macosx.
o Click on your airport icon (top right corner somewhere)
o Click create network
o Give it a name (same name on both machines)
o config en1 (or whatever your airport is, with ifconfig)
o connected :-)

If you have locations set up its even easier... just select the location..
away it goes.

It works in  classic mode as well.. Cant remember steps off the top of my
head.. who wants classic mode anyway! ;-)

---
Danny
Don't forget to bring a towel! (c) Towelie