[MLB-WIRELESS] Interesting thought for all the radio heads

Dennis dennis at ozisp.com.au
Mon Feb 18 12:59:52 EST 2002

I haven't quite figured out this radio stuff yet, but don't you need to
have some horizontal length in the antenna to pick up the signal?
(Unless omni is short for omnidirectional then  would be wrong)

We have a couple of 2.4ghz phones here at the office and they are just a
base station and handset, but the base station antenna is just a 6 inch
shielded thing, so I would "assume" that somehow its quite possible to
just use a straight vertical antenna like a phone aerial on the back
windscreen or something similar.

On the other hand why couldn't you just set the antenna on the back
seat, with enough height to get through the rear window, it could still
be confined within the space of the car, therefore removing the mad max
appearance associated with say a window mounted antenna.

Like I said I don't know much about the whole radio thing, and I would
think that anything from inside the car would work at a loss to anything
on the outside.

For what its worth, why not buy a big black van and mount a rotating
satellite dish on the roof, go more for the FBI/CIA eavesdropping
scenario.
I'd be happy to drive it around looking all suspicious and stuff. =]

Dennis.