[MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless PCI Cards

Ryan Abbenhuys sneeze at alphalink.com.au
Sun Feb 17 12:16:00 EST 2002

Have you not noticed yet that for all the wireless cards available maybe 90%
at the very least are PCMCIA.  In a lot of those cases the manufacturer offers
a PCI option which is in fact the exact same PCMCIA card bundled with a PCI
adapter.

PCI Adapters will also still require a pigtail style adapter.

I am very doubtful you will cover 800m with a standard card without an antenna.
Usually when a manufacturer says a card will cover say 500m at the most....they
generally mean outdoors in an area where there is nothing restricing LOS between
the actual cards.
The cards won't be able to transmit through the walls of your house, and through
all the walls of your neighbouring houses to reach your mate.
I'd recommend you just have a crack at one of the Pringle can antennas.  Being
so close to your mate, cable loss shouldn't matter too much if you run like
4 meters of cable out the wall up to a pringles can on the roof.
(anyone correct me if i'm wrong here)