[MLB-WIRELESS] LRP

magrathea at subdimension.com magrathea at subdimension.com
Sat Feb 16 01:50:59 EST 2002

Hi,

Ok, I have now seen a plethora of these types of "routing" projects and
what knot; Along with questions: Does it do this? does it do that? Does it
support my h/w?

Why not make your own floppy based linux disk. I used to do this years ago
for various uses. (remote proxy, use your imagination)

Anyway, it is amazing how much you can actually fit on a floppy.
(Including the kernel)  If you really want to go crazy, get an LS120.
120MB should be _heaps_ for whatever you want. (never done it, but assume
it would work)

There are probably scripts that do this now, but from memory, you would:

o dd a premade kernel to the fdd. (customized for your own use)
o note down the where the kernel is on the disk. ie: dd returns the amount
of records written. Thats where the kernel finishes.
o Create a file system. (make a blank file, mkfile, dd whatever)
- create a fs on it. (mkfs)
- mount it as loopback device
- populate the fs
- unmount
- gzip it
o dd the fs to the disk with an offset. (dont dd over the kernel!)
o use rdev to change some options in ther kernel. ie: dont ask for 2nd
disk, offset to filesystem to mount, etc.
o boot floppy! done :-)

This custom disk can have _anything_ you want on it. I may have some notes
which I took when I did this. (It was a while ago) If I find anything, and
there is a need for it, i'll post all info on my www site.

Again, there are most likely scripts avail now days that let you do this.

I say this as i dont know anything about lrp, or any other linux fdd based
distro. At the time I needed it, there wasnt anything like that, so I made
my own. easy :-)

---
Danny