[MLB-WIRELESS] The Hombrew Challenge Notebooks with broken sc reens wanted

Jason Hecker jason at air.net.au
Fri Feb 15 10:57:21 EST 2002

Laptops are were mainly intended for 25 degree C rooms.  If you did mount
it on a mast, you'd to well to put it in one of those rubber sealed PVC
boxes that electricians use for such work.  Over that I would put a white
metal cowling to shade it from direct sunlight.  Actually, one of those
vented boxes that weather measuring equipment is put in would be ideal.  If
this isn't quite suitable, place it in the roof cavity under the tile where
the antenna is and have a short run of cable with a suitable "J" bend in
the antenna to ensure water running down the cable doesn't find it's way
into the laptop.  I know people who have put PC's in the roof under the
antenna and this works just fine.  You don't have to be so concerned with
water proofing and protection from the elements.  Dust and moisture would
be your main concerns then and maybe the 50+ degree temperatures you can
get in the roof in summer.