[MLB-WIRELESS] Duplicates & slow list

Will Lotto lotto at impulse.net.au
Wed Feb 13 19:50:38 EST 2002

Ahh, come on, anyone can do maths to make numbers look big... ready?
There are 253 members on the list, today there have been about 53
messages. If each message is an average of 4kb, thats 1mb of data sent
per message.
This works out to approx. 53MB of data per day, or, 19GB per year.
If you count that about 10% of the messages don't go through first
time, and need to be resent, that adds 5.3MB per day, totaling 20.9GB
per year.

However, 1mb per message sent isn't that much. if there are, say, 72
messages sent a day, thats only 3 an hour. so once every 20 minuites
the mail server has to send 1mb of data. .. averaged out, the mail
server is sending at .85k/s. .. If you expect the message to be sent
to everyone on the list within 1 minuite, the mail server needs an
avalable bandwidth of 20kb/s (160kbit/s) which it can max out for one
minuite every 20 minuites. ... or, if you expect a turnaround of 2 minuites,
that would require a 80kbit/s pipe.

In real terms, if the mail server was given a 64kbit pipeline,
everyone's mail would be delivered in 128 seconds. .. This is *not* a
huge amount of bandwidth / mail.

Now I'm not saying the people who run this list owe us anything, nor
am I in a position to complain. I'm just saying there's a bottleneck
somewhere, and if it were my network, I wouldn't call it 'normal'. ..
after all, a mail server on a dialup line would have enough bandwidth
to deliver the mail in 5 mins... and since there's one message (av)
per 20 mins.. it'd keep up with the volume :)

Will.

> Steven Haigh wrote:

>> We also have 253 members on the list.... Now for some quick maths (uh oh)
>> and the server will have sent 11,132 email out today alone... That's
>> assuming *everyones* mail server is responding etc...

> This is why cascading mail servers is a very good idea.

> Dwayne

> --
> IRC at: au.austnet.org #melb-wireless

---
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759