[MLB-WIRELESS] ip allocation list based on suburb

Will Lotto lotto at impulse.net.au
Wed Feb 13 18:34:14 EST 2002

> If we use local councils however it is an entirely different situation.
> Victoria has 78 councils, so that will fit very nicely in 255. [For
> specific info, with names and populations for each council, see the
> attached .csv]

I'm a fan of this.
There are obviously too many suburbs, and too many postcodes for easy
allocation.
We could subnet the 10. network so you have space for 660 address in
the network (10 bit network field, instead of the 8 to get 255)... or
use a wasteful solution like 10.30.68.xxx (for postcode 3068) ... OR,
councils can be used.

78 councils makes it very easy. Number them 1 to 78, give each council
a 10.001-078.xxx.xxx range to devide up.. and that leaves 176 network
ids avalable for: additional space for big councils, roaming users,
network kit, etc; without even beginning to use second two bytes of
the IP.

A simple lookup table on http://www.wireless.org.au, or wiki would
provide people with geographical locations.

Any other takers?

Will.

---
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759