Operational DNS? Was :Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] IP address range for Geelong?

Tristan Gulyas zardoz at 2600.org.au
Wed Feb 13 00:08:47 EST 2002

G'day.

> No IP packets actually pass across the wired/wireless boundary (only the
> information does).  I _think_ that's enough to remain within the
> regulations.

What regulations, exactly?  Do you require a carrier license to pass
Internet traffic over a private network?

> Whether you can apply the same logic to a proxy server straddling the
> wired/wireless boundary is another interesting question...

Okay, so how does this work?

Say, I've got a PC running DNS software as such that:

Internet <->  net gateway (running DNS server) <-> LAN <-> melbwireless-gw
(also running DNS server) <-> melbwireless clients

Is this fine?
and how far is that from running one name server on the net gateway box?  Or
even closer still, how different is that from NAT'ing the packets through
the net gateway to globaly DNS?

> APANA offers organisational memberships.  So if MLB-WIRELESS joins APANA,
> members of MLB-WIRELESS could be deemed APANA members.  This might be a
> really good reason for us to get our act together and incorporate as some
> kind of association (a la footy club, for example - apparently not too
> onerous to administer).

Mmmmm indeed.  That would be REALLY nice.

-t.