[MLB-WIRELESS] Melbwireless Network Architecture (was: a whole lot of other topics)

Tristan Gulyas zardoz at 2600.org.au
Tue Feb 12 22:21:15 EST 2002

How are we handling the network itself?  Are we sticking to 16 IPs per
subnet still?

In my experience, it's always best to situate a DNS server (and possibly
other essential network services, such as DHCP and authentication) wherever
a major network node resides (eg, router).

You could quite easily replicate this data using BIND transfers or even
rsync and djbdns files (or even active directory, God help us, for those
Windows 2000 users out there).

Having a single point of failure would just be stupid.

Also another point to make - not everybody will be on the network from the
beginning (there will be gaps between subnets for the first few months or
so).  Perhaps managing this through the Internet on real nameservers (so use
wireless.org.au, for example) or VPN tunnels to other parts of the network
for DNS traffic.

Just my two cents worth +10% GST where applicable.
---
Tristan Gulyas
zardoz at ausgamers.com
http://zardoz.hotblack.net/
"We are the music makers..and we are the dreamers of the dream"
 --Willy Wonka