[MLB-WIRELESS] IP address range for Geelong?

Simon J Mudd sjmudd at pobox.com
Tue Feb 12 21:42:35 EST 2002

>>>>> "Adrian" == Adrian Close <adrian at close.wattle.id.au> writes:

Adrian> On 12 Feb 2002, Simon J Mudd wrote:
>> This allows you "at some later stage" to link up (probably not
>> by radio!) to other groups around the world. If you have an ip
>> address conflict it'll be much harder to do this.

Adrian> /me throws hands in air and calls on a deity to give him
Adrian> strength.

Adrian> I can see why this registry seems logical.  What it misses
Adrian> is the fact that the RFC 1918 ranges are not globally
Adrian> routable, _by design_.

True, but also these addresses have always been considered "local
addresses", or almost site-local in ipv6 terminology.  Thus if the
allocations don't conflict at least the site-local could be all
wireless groups world-wide. (?)

Adrian> I think we'd be better off campaigning to obtain a globally
Adrian> routable IPv4 allocation for use on community-baased wireless
Adrian> networks around the world (similar to net 44 in concept, I
Adrian> guess).

That would be great, but when the 44.x.x.x allocation was requested it
was before there was such a demand for IP addresses.  I somehow doubt
that a class C assignment will be allocated in the future. I might be
wrong though.

Adrian> We have ARIN, APNIC and RIPE.  Perhaps we could create a WNIC
Adrian> organisation to handle global allocation of such addresses.
Adrian> There's plenty of IPv4 space left.

Really? I was under the impression that was not the situation, and
that's why IPv6 is being deployed, although slowly.  It's also why we
have to use NAT rather than use real IP addresses.

However I agree a global assignment of IP addresses for wireless use
would be great especially with IPv4.  From what I've seen there is a
great deal of interest in this and most is still non-commercial.

Regards,

Simon
--
Simon J Mudd,   Tel: +34-91-408 4878,  Mobile: +34-605-085 219
Madrid, Spain.  email: sjmudd at pobox.com,  Postfix RPM Packager