[MLB-WIRELESS] IP address range for Geelong?

Adrian Close adrian at close.wattle.id.au
Tue Feb 12 21:00:15 EST 2002

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Jason Hecker wrote:

> Well, assuming that people like me already have a 192.168.x.x network at
> home NATing onto the Internet, what'd be wrong with the wireless box with
> it's 10.x.x.x IP NATing to the 192.168.x.x space?  I know NAT's a pain but
> what can  you do in this instance?

OK, I see where you're coming from.  Sorry if I overreacted - it just
sounded insane to take the two worst kludges of IPv4 and put them
together.  (In fact, it still seems pretty wierd to me...)

In this situation, I'd like to see you allocated a block of "MLB-WIRELESS"
space for you to use on your systems.

> Anyway, it's up the the end user how they go about NATing and protecting
> their systems from malicious wireless hackers.

A very important point.  I think IPSEC is going to be an important
component of this, at least because it provides a reasonable means of
authenticating traffic.

Adrian Close			email:	adrian at close.wattle.id.au
1 Old Gippsland Rd.		web:	http://www.close.wattle.id.au/~adrian
Lilydale, VIC, 3140, Australia	mobile:	+61 412 385 201

Echelon teaser: MD5 RX-7 SSL Kiwi TRD DEADBEEF Bubba