[MLB-WIRELESS] Cisco tool

Jason Hecker jason at air.net.au
Mon Feb 11 18:04:39 EST 2002

With regards to the Cisco spreadsheet posted on the site, it's pretty
damned nifty.  The 10dB fade margin is a very good idea and there for a
reason, namely effects from the atmosphere (rain and fog) and dynamic
multipath (this will change as reflections come off moving cars, trees,
atmosphere turbulence, microwave ducting in moist warm air, planes) which
can degrade the performance by up to 10dB.  This sort of thing can be
improved if you employ space diversity.  If you have a card with 2 antenna
connectors, like the Senao EXT2 device, and you space two antennas spaced
apart (I forget how many wavelengths it should be), in receive mode it will
pick the best antenna for signal strength because it has a 'voter' in it
which decides which antennas has the best signal.  The one and same antenna
will always be used for transmitting as space diversity is only useful when
receiving.  If you do this then your fade margin is reduced.

I would suggest that for backbone links, space diversity is used for
maximum reliability.  If the signal is too weak the cards will drop to a
lower bitrate to compensate.