[MLB-WIRELESS] Newsgroup

Will Lotto lotto at impulse.net.au
Mon Feb 4 21:18:36 EST 2002

I agree entirely. NNTP is a pain in the ass, and like IMAP, there
aren't many clients that support it as well as they do standard mail.

The most useful alternative I can suggest is a web archive of the
mailing list. All communication is still done by email, but users can
search the web archive to gain the information they want.

Web Forums also rate highly in my book, but there are a good number of
technical people on this list who prefer the simplicity and
readability of plain text, without all the heavy HTML that comes with
forums, or the fuss that comes with NNTP.

Filtering mail isn't too hard, (It's been covered WAAY to many times
on this list) ... and most good message clients will sort messages in
threaded mode anyway.

> There has been a fair bit of discussion about this.
> For me email works well, given that filters allow me to manage upwards
> of 80 emails a day. The delete button works well, my only crit is that
> the subject gets a bit obscured with Re:Re:Re:Thing. Iwill not bother with nntp.
> Thanks for the thought though :)

> Luke Schapel

> Mitch Denny wrote:

>> Genesis,
>>
>> The responses that you have gotten so far weren't particularly
>> descriptive. The resistence that I have (and I assume many
>> others) have to newsgroups is that they aren't a passive
>> medium. Its much more convenient to have the e-mails come
>> to you (wherever you are) than having to log onto a nntp
>> server and attempt to track the threads.
>>
>> Personally, I have a huge investment my mail-client and
>> whenever I have tried to engage in newsgroups in any
>> meaningful way it has always been painful.

>> - Mitch Denny
>> - mitch.denny at warbyte.com
>> - +61 (414) 610-141
>> -

> <snip>

> --
> IRC at: au.austnet.org #melb-wireless

---
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759