[MLB-WIRELESS] Another n00b

Glen Brunning bchild at melbwireless.dyndns.org
Mon Feb 4 16:17:23 EST 2002

Terry

Terry Wood (w00dy at bigpond.net.au) wrote*:

>We both have linux boxes which we use to connect to DSL, and Ive
>been using linux for over 6 years now so Im not n00b
>to linux compilations/mods, etc.  We have no plans to 'share' our DSL
>links, purely wanting to get a free and fast link between us.  If it
>goes well others will probably be interested, but this is a small start.

Not sharing ur DSL conenction is not a problem, what you do is up2 you,
and it sounds like your heading in the right direction by starting small.

>What pcmcia (in PCI/ISA adapters) cards would you recommend for us
>(I guess I need to get these 'pigtails' to connect to the unused
>Austar MDF antennas we have on our roofs

It all depends on whether you want to use PCMCIA cards or use straight out
PCI cards, both are available cost being the only issue, I myself use
Compaq WL-200 cards which are PCI, others are using Lucent Orinoco Silver or
gold cards. Basically it's personal choice and whatever cost is the cheapest. :)

>What speed cards should we be looking at, I realise theres the 11mb
>ones but I've seen the 54mb ones being touted about here and there.  Are
>cards which do this speed a reality here yet in price and cost?

54Mbps cards i'm sure are available from somewhere,yes they are fast
but wif gain 1 thing u lose the other distance. Seeing however you only
want a maximum of 1km then i don't see this really being and issue, besides
the fact that if u wanted to connect wif some1 on the network that they'd
need a 802.11a card as well.

>Our houses are ~1 km apart as the crow files and the area is
>pretty flat, but im concerned acout trees in the way.  Theres not a forest
>in between, but theres a couiple of good trees.  Whats peoples
>experience with this, am I wasting my time even thinking about doing this?

802.11b is a little flexible, trees really shouldn't b 2 much of a problem
even if they are in the way, the distance that you want should still get
a signal without a problem.

Regards Glen
Hardware Tech
Melbourne: Digital Wireless