[MLB-WIRELESS] Another n00b

darrend at natwide.com.au darrend at natwide.com.au
Mon Feb 4 16:40:21 EST 2002

Careful with pci adapters, some of the 'cheapie' brands (netgear, dlink
etc...) seem to have their own 'special' pci adapters.
Eg if you install some of these adapters without the pcmcia card inserted,
they still detect (plug and pray under windows) them as if the wlan card
were inserted... not as a generic pcmcia slot device. I can confirm this
for the netgear cards. A haven't yet tested these pci adapters under linux.
I guess the moral of the story is to stick to the same brand if possible...

Darren Dreis
IT Manager
Nationwide Digital Products P/L
Tel 03 9548 9444  Fax 03 9548 9040

                    Drew
                    <drew at wirelessan        To:     melbwireless at wireless.org.au
                    archy.com>              cc:
                                            Subject:     Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] Another n00b
                    04/02/2002 02:22
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to melbwireless

>My first couple of questions are these:
>
>What pcmcia (in PCI/ISA adapters) cards would you recommend for us

the recommended setup would be the one that matches the card you have.
ie. orinoco adapter for orinoco card, though i've heard *most* will work
with any card.