[MLB-WIRELESS] Microsoft - online manual defaced.

Jonathan Oxer jon at ivt.com.au
Fri Feb 1 09:05:12 EST 2002

X- à: 2630
>>       Read this GEE MICROSOFT support page FAST before it disappears forever !!!
>>
>>       http://www.microsoft.com&item=q209354@hardware.no/nyheter/feb01/Q209354%20-%20HOWTO.htm

>   Sorry to dissapoint you, but the actual target of that url is http://hardware.no/nyheter/feb01/Q209354%20-%20HOWTO.htm
>   The faq isnt actually located at microsoft at all, just utilising some redirect script I think.

Partly right. This request isn't being redirected though, it's never
even making it to the MS web server. It's actually doing it by
pretending to be realm authentication parameters. Accessing a
realm-protected web page can be done by passing the username and
password as arguments prepended to the hostname with an '@' separator,
so in this case it's just sending the MS web server hostname as the
username argument to the 'hardware.no' web server.

'hardware.no' is not actually performing any authentication, so it
ignores the arguments and responds with the page requested.

Sorry about that, getting a bit off topic here.

Jonathan Oxer
Technical Director
Internet Vision Technologies