[MLB-WIRELESS] request

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Tue Dec 24 09:54:23 EST 2002

OK, that is fine, but if you want it to be efficient...???

I always thought the point was to reflect (interact with) the majority of the
incoming polarised signal while allowing other smaller frequencies to pass
(through the gaps) and larger frequencies to miss the antenna. By that
rational, the smaller the gaps the more noise you should have due to less
efficient antenna filtering.  similarly, the larger the antenna, the more
signal you will collect, but the more resonance frequencies you will collect
(lambda = N times the peak resonance frequency of the gaps).  However, this
is offset by the greater collecting power (= better concentration of signal
by directional discrimination).

so the antenna is a resonator that also acts as an amplifier and band pass
filter...

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
IM:bulwynkl2002
would somebody get this big walking carpet out of my way?