[MLB-WIRELESS] is this useble for us?

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Wed Dec 18 11:06:57 EST 2002

On the other hand I can compile FreeBSD to run on a Sun box...

worst case would be hacking the driver to work with solaris... not impossible,
but I haven't done it yet... :-)

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 10:19 am, lkhoo at csc.com.au wrote:
> Paul said:
> >does solaris 7 support wireless cards?
>
> As far as I know it doesn't natively. I've asked around and no one here
> things it does.
>

> Just did a quick search on google and the only things I could find for
> solaris wireless wise were :
> Wireless authentication : as in using a solaris machine to authenticate
> uses (coming in via another machine with the wireless cards).
> A few java wireless relates articles.
>
> It *might* be possible to get one of those pcmcia cradles working under
> solaris (if your got something like a sparc 10+ with pci etc).

I have a sparc 2 and sparc IPX... maybe getting a SS5 later... they all use
sbis and scsi.  So the thing about this is it is hardware to do pcmcia-scsi.
the real issue is driver support for the bridge and THEN support for the
individual card.

I would lve to play with this in my mythical spare time, but it would have to
cost less than $50 for me to consider it at this point...

> But I doubt you'd get cards working as I havn't seen any drivers relased
> for the wireless that could work.
>
> Would a compile on a sparc system of some open source drivers work?
>

> Lucas

Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
caia.swin.edu.au
pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
IM:bulwynkl2002
would somebody get this big walking carpet out of my way?