[MLB-WIRELESS] Channel management

evilbunny evilbunny at sydneywireless.com
Sat Dec 14 16:32:41 EST 2002

Hello Simon,

SB> I didn't think there was anything in the specification for access points
SB> to tell cards "Change to channel X"? That's what I presumed, since all
SB> the AP's which do roaming seem to say that they must be on the same
SB> channel for seamless hand-overs to occur.

You really need to get out more :) the AP determines the channel, the
card flicks between channels, and based on firmware settings will
usually pick the strongest signal...

SB> I know cards, with software, can scan for a network with a specified
SB> SSID and connect to it, but that's not exactly seamless if the
SB> connection gets dropped?

I've setup a network using AP's on different channels and the whole
thing worked very well, because they were all on the same subnet... It
didn't matter that they used 2 different brands of AP's either...

SB> If you weren't doing roaming, then the recommended practice would
SB> definitely be to separate the channel usage. To obtain seamless
SB> handovers for roaming, however, I'm not so sure. Actually I'm not sure
SB> either way anymore..

Roaming has nothing to do with it... Cards roam just fine as is...

--
Best regards,
 evilbunny                            mailto:evilbunny at sydneywireless.com

Why must heterosexuals flaunt their lifestyle?