[MLB-WIRELESS] [TIB] A new offer has been added to TIB - 11/1 2/2002

evilbunny evilbunny at sydneywireless.com
Thu Dec 12 19:06:07 EST 2002

Hello Craig,

CS> yes, well, some of them are going to lie about us no matter what we do
CS> or say.

Best way to hide a lie is between 2 truths...

CS> all we have to do is make sure we're operating within the legal limit.
CS> not half the legal limit, or a quarter or a tenth of it.

If justified, and if it won't hamper someone elses ability to do
likewise...

CS> but if you DO need it, if it DOES make a difference to the quality and
CS> utility of your link, i see no reason to dismiss the idea of
CS> amplification without further consideration.  it is one of several
CS> possible options/variables.

Exactly my point, why not simply look into the alternatives in the
first place, it should really be the very last option looked into...

CS> so all these people fussing about using galaxies and building high-gain
CS> antennas (e.g. slotted waveguide omnis or 180 degree antennas) are also
CS> causing problems for everyone else?

Commercially available grid pack style antenna are still cheaper...

CS> a high-power signal is a high-power signal no matter what the source.
CS> for a receiving antenna, it's the same no matter whether it came from a
CS> high power AP, or a low power AP plus an amplifier or a high-gain
CS> antenna.

Receiving end is JUST AS IMPORTANT if not more so then the sending...
if you amplify the signal, it has a greater chance of bouncing off
"things" causing increasing amounts of both reflected signal, and
multipath interference, increasing your own (or the other end you're
trying to talk to) level of noise, decreasing signal quality in the
process and potentially ding more harm then good.

CS> huh?  it looks like you're confusing receive sensitivity with transmit
CS> power.

CS> Tx power is Tx power, no matter where it comes from.  if you have an AP
CS> up a mast, you'll have a few extra inches of cable between the AP and
CS> the amplifier, and two more N connectors.  not enough to introduce any
CS> significant noise or even signal loss.

That is the whole point of that, RX is RX... you go out shouting your
ears and you still won't have a link...

CS> yep, this makes sense.  i agree.  i don't necessarily think it's always
CS> a bad thing, though - in fact, it can be useful characteristic depending
CS> on what you're trying to do.

CS> i can agree with that too.  however i don't agree that the option should
CS> be automatically dismissed.

I said, it should be the last option from the beginning... Unless you
know the full implications of using a particular device for a
particular job you should go and study up on what you're trying to
do...

What if someone does setup a 30dBm amp 2 or 3 doors from your place,
same channel, etc etc etc with a 6dBi antenna, what is that going to
do to your signal? or they are transmitting across the entire band,
and didn't really need to do that to go to little johnny 5 doors
away... that is my beef with cheap amps...

--
Best regards,
 evilbunny                            mailto:evilbunny at sydneywireless.com