[MLB-WIRELESS] [TIB] A new offer has been added to TIB - 11/1 2/2002

evilbunny evilbunny at sydneywireless.com
Thu Dec 12 18:54:42 EST 2002

Hello Craig,

CS> i still don't see what's the difference between a) a 500mW AP plus an
CS> omni and b) a 30mW AP plus a 500mW amp plus an omni.

Excess noise, the amp can't discriminate against it... the card can...
the card usually has much better receive sensitivity (in the true
sense of it)

CS> you still have 500mW of power going into the antenna, regardless of
CS> whether the AP produces it or an amp helps out.

Coming in is just as important... if not more so...

CS> AFAICT, the only difference other than price is that some people want to
CS> have all amps been branded as 'evil' and perhaps have the topic
CS> forbidden from discussion.

nope, just priced out of the range of people not 100% knowledgeable on
them... case of the right tool for the right job, you don't use a jack
hammer to put a nail on the wall to hang a picture with... brute force
isn't the only answer...

CS> my main issue is that i don't like to see any technology dismissed out
CS> of hand for essentially religious reasons.  amps can be useful in
CS> certain circumstances, and they're no worse than any other method of
CS> increasing signal strength.

Not religious, but I can't think of a single reason to use them and be
more effective then other means... If anything be less effective as
the chance of your own signal reflecting would be increased, causing
you to increase your own noise level...

CS> it could be.  it could also be useful to others who want to connect to
CS> the local omni node.

No point being stupid about it though, more nodes is a better way of
doing things then more noise... especially if you flesh out a mesh of
AP's rather then trying to hook everyone up to the same AP... They are
only good for about 10 people or there abouts... (if you want decent
amount of speed for all connected)

CS> any signal source could be a PITA for everyone else.  any wireless
CS> network you're not a part of is just annoying noise.

This is why you should play nice, someone else could do the exact same
thing to you, and then it's a game as to who can output more...

--
Best regards,
 evilbunny                            mailto:evilbunny at sydneywireless.com