[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: [Syd-Wireless] D-Link POE Unit - DistanceAnswers

vak at alphalink.com.au vak at alphalink.com.au
Thu Dec 12 13:54:44 EST 2002

Howdy,

You shouldn't refer to collision domains AT ALL when talking about POE. If
you've opened up one of these boxes (and any other POE box for that
matter), what basically happens is that pairs 2 and 3 (pins 1, 2, 3, 6) go
straight through to the other side - no hub, no electronics, etc in between.

The other two pairs are used to pump power to the other side. Some POE
units (as is the case with the DLink) usually some sort of power regulation
at the input side - don't ask me why - seems pointless. All of them should
have a regulator at the output end (where the AP, etc resides).

According to Ethernet standards, you are allowed a maximum of 95 metres of
solid cable (single core conductors) and 15 metres of patch (flex). Total =
110 metres maximum allowable.

Cheers,

Vaskos
--------