[MLB-WIRELESS] thanks for a simply brilliant article...

Michael Borthwick holden at netspace.net.au
Wed Dec 11 13:48:05 EST 2002

Rowan Crowe wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, paul van den bergen wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Super big thanks to Matt Peirce for pointing me to this article ...
> >
> > http://www.samag.com/documents/s=7121/sam0205a/sam0205a.htm

I found that article misleading and a complete waste time. You need to do
virtually nothing it suggests in order to get wireless FreeBSD running on a
laptop. You certainly don't need to compile a custom kernel (unless you want to
run NAT/DHCP). And the frigging with irq, iomems does not seem to be necessary.

For a start just try performing a vanilla install of FreeBSD 4.5 +, plug in a
radio, set an IP address and netmask for wi0 - it worked for me on both Toshiba
440CDT's