[MLB-WIRELESS] Killer wireless cards...

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Wed Dec 4 12:27:44 EST 2002

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002 11:52 am, Fenn Bailey wrote:
> Hence, I install the real drivers (either orinoco or enterasys for the
> respective cards), but as soon as I setup a profile, the PC freezes
> absolutely dead (which is odd for Win2K).
>
> If I pop out the card, it instantly comes to life. Put it back in -
> dead.

Abuse first - go back to linux??? sorry, back now...

fallback.
broadcast off? *shrug*)

Had some problems in BSD, not this severe.  related to memory allocation.

In some sort of illogical order...

suggested mechanisms to address it was to progressively turn off automatic
allocation.

go into the HW resources setup (for the richoh card) and do manual resource
allocation for the memory range, IRQ, what ever they let you change.

look in the registry settings to see what is here.  (perhaps the "crash
randomly when detect Linux on HD" setting is set to true. :-P)

disable PnP or PCI autoallocation in the Bios.

Upgrade the flash rom in the wireless card.

upgrade the PCI drivers.

downgrade the drivers for the wireless card.

remove all the HW, reboot, reinstall HW and try again. (search and destroy
registry settings? dangerous)

if a fresh install, try either reinstall win2k with or without hardware
insitu.

otherwise... *shrug*

> Painful to say the least. This is the first time I've used Win2K with
> wireless (I'm generally a Linux man with wireless stuff), but I've had a
> fair bit of experience with Win* and this has stumpted me.
>
> I can't examine the resources once the card is in (in case it's
> conflicting with something nasty like the PCI bus or worse) as the PC
> freezes when the card is in.
>
> It's definately related to the driver (or how the driver is controlling
> the card) as it successfully activated the card with the build in win2k
> drivers. Did a search on google for this sort of problem with very
> little success.
>
> Any ideas/suggestions/abuse is welcome :)
>
> Thanks heaps,
>
> 	Fenn.

Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
caia.swin.edu.au
pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
would somebody get this big walking carpet out of my way?