[MLB-WIRELESS] FW: [ops] Hi all

Robert Tchia robert.tchia at palantir.com.au
Fri Aug 30 15:36:06 EST 2002

For those who might be interested

Cheers
Rob

-----Original Message-----
From: Don Park [mailto:don.park at beehivegames.com]
Sent: Friday, 30 August 2002 4:15 AM

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, evilbunny wrote:

>   Would any of you be interested in joining a management forum/mailing
>   list, designed more to discuss social implications, then technical,
>   and potentially direction of the database in general?
>
>   Let me know, if there is enough interest I'll get this up and
>   running...

I think the mapping system is three separate prjects. Each one large
enough to be taken on by at least one person.

One is the database. Making changes to the schema and providing an
automated or programatic interface. The interface would be something
like
an exposed mysql server port or an XML-RPC interface. I feel this
interface should be documented, advertised, and allowed read-only access
to anyone and everyone at all times.

Two is the web interface. The PHP coding to present the data in HTML,
get simple and advanced queries from the user, convert it into SQL,
display the results, cookies and user tracking, etc. I think nodedb
could
benefit the most from improvements in this area.

Three is map generation. People who are interested in GIS, image
transforms, mathematics for radiation shading, interfacing with map
databases, etc.

Id like to see different groups working on each part, all agreeing to
GPL
their code. The GAWD project had a good start on the node DB but
stalled.

To answer your question, if we agree from the start that the data should
be available to all, in an automated but read-only format, then a
database
policy list may not be necessary. If people have different ideas about
it,
then sure, why not.

Don
--