[MLB-WIRELESS] Comparing 22Meg APs

Jamie Lovick jalovick at doof.org
Sun Aug 18 02:55:47 EST 2002

Hi,

On Sat, 17 Aug 2002, Dave Keller wrote:

> Has Anyone done any comparisions on the newer 22Meg APs that are on
> the market? That is other than price? As several are popping up now
> with greatly different prices.

I have not yet had a chance to personally test other products aside from
the D-Link "+" range, but I will say that the tests have been posative.

> Initial investigations seem to indicate the cheaper you go, the less
> power output, thus less reliability and less distance on links?

Though less power output can equate to less distance in some cases, it
does not necessarily mean less reliability. Generally lower output cards
have a greater receive sensativity. This is a very important
factor. What's the use of a higher power output, if the card isn't as
good at receiving the signal.

By using higher gain antenae, lower output cards can often perform just
as well as higher output cards.

Regards

Jamie

--
Jamie Lovick    <->  IT Consultant    <-> +614 1479 1681
Hobby     : Doof.org                   -> jalovick at doof.org
Director  : Drastic Solutions Pty Ltd  -> jalovick at drasticsolutions.com.au
----- Public Relations Officer - the Australian Wireless Association -----