[MLB-WIRELESS] Why the big price difference on PCMCIA 802.11b cards?

Tyson Clugg tyson at wireless.org.au
Fri Aug 16 17:42:15 EST 2002

$60 cards
=======
Why so cheap?  Because the cards are liquidated stock.

As with any company being liquidated, when SkyNet Global went belly up, they
were forced to recoup any money from stock at hand so debtors could be paid.
Being a wireless ISP (WISP), a large portion of their stock was client
wireless adapters.  Some poeple in Melbourne Wireless were aware that the
stock was available for purchase from liquidators, and arranged to obtain
large quantities of this stock and onsell it to Melbourne Wireless group
members.

Because the cards are liquidated stock, there are some differences to what
you would get from a retail outlet (for about $140 as it would seem).  For
starters, you're lucky to get any packaging (perhaps only a small bubble
wrap bag), and certainly no driver disks or manuals either.  The cards may
have been used, but are generally in pristine condition.  There is also a
slim chance that a card will not work or will fail in the near future, and
there is no warranty covering such an event.

You need to decide if you are willing to forgo the benefits of buying retail
before buying from The Incredible Bulk.  Should you want packaging, drivers,
manuals and a warranty, then go to a retail outlet and shell out the extra
dollars.  If you aren't concerned with such things, then The Incredible Bulk
may be the thing for you.

I hope that clears up any questions you have about the $60 TIB cards vs.
more expensive retail cards.  I am human - the above is my understanding of
the differences, please correct me if you see a mistake.

Regards,
Tyson.

   Tyson at wireless.org.au
 Treasurer at wireless.org.au