[MLB-WIRELESS] Multiple APs

Jamie Lovick jalovick at doof.org
Wed Aug 14 17:27:41 EST 2002

Hi,

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Fulton, Darren J wrote:

> Anyone on the list from Swinburne might be able to shed some light.
> Last time I took the laptop for a drive, the Hawthorn campus was lit
> up like a chrismas tree with half a dozen APs (maybe more), all with
> the same SSID and all using channel 6.

While I am not from Swinburne, I can say that this is typical for such a
setup.

Multiple AP's in a fairly small area can operate on the same channel
with the same SSID. "cells" can overlap, and a client can wander from
one cell to another.

Regards

Jamie

--
Jamie Lovick    <->  IT Consultant    <-> +614 1479 1681
Hobby     : Doof.org                   -> jalovick at doof.org
Director  : Drastic Solutions Pty Ltd  -> jalovick at drasticsolutions.com.au
----- Public Relations Officer - the Australian Wireless Association -----