[MLB-WIRELESS] Galaxy antennaes - RF cable question

Paul van den Bergen paul at serc.rmit.edu.au
Mon Aug 12 17:06:03 EST 2002

Hi all,
If all goes well I will collect the first of two galaxy antennaes I have
my eye on this weekend...  This brings to mind a question.

there is a chance that I will be able to grab a fair length of the
connecting cable from the antennae to the wall socket.  Is this worth my
while, or is it crap for our purposes???  (I ask because if it is free
and it will do the job, why not grab it?)  if it is not ideal, how bad
is it?  since I have 2 650mW old ISA wavelan cards that I want to use (I
am still considering my configuration) I would actually welcome some
loss in the cables...

If it is really bad, I'll just cut the wire...

so, the questions are

1)  is the cable from the galaxy antennaes to the wall socket
appropriate for 802.11b frequencies? (and incidently, what is it rated for?)
and
2) just how lossy would it be if I did use it?
which I guess is three questions but what would I know... I'm an
engineer... we don't count...

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
SERC, RMIT University