[MLB-WIRELESS] US Robotics 22mb APs compared to the D-Link (IMHO)

Andy Freeman wireless at kawasaki.kz
Sat Aug 10 01:14:24 EST 2002

I just had a look at the D-Link access points and the most obvious
differences are that the D-Link has a lower transmit power and doesn't
appear to support point to multipoint.

The Dlink supports infrastructure more and client mode only.

The US Robotics AP supports both of those modes and point to multipoint
(which we need on our latest hop)

Problem:

Using D-link 22mb APs

(cli-mode)           (inf-mode)               (cli-mode)
   Jack --------------- Mary                    Jane
                         |                        |
                         |                        |
                         |                        |
                         |                        |
                        Bill ------------------- Fred
                     (need 2 APs)             (need 2 APs)

                  (one cli one inf)         (one cli one inf)

So with the D-Link Jack would only see Jane and Fred if Bill and Fred
ran two access points (or a client and an access point) and also ran a
router behind the access points.

But if we are using the US Robotics 22mb APs

(mult-mode)         (mult-mode)              (mult-mode)
   Jack --------------- Mary                    Jane
                         |                        |
                         |                        |
                         |                        |
                    (mult-mode)               (mult-mode)

Then everyone can see everyone with out the extra routers and client
adaptors.

We have had this working well using the A032 Nokia access points but
they are at least twice the price of the US Robotics APs that are on
TIB.

http://www.kawasaki.kz/wireless/22mb/

Andy.