[MLB-WIRELESS] The skies are alive with the sound of GPS

andrew garton agarton at toysatellite.org
Tue Aug 6 14:02:25 EST 2002

Greetings... A brief update to our first scheduled stream at TS
Wireless. We are still keen to participate in the MW grid, but we are
unlikely to move to the 10.0... etc IP in the short term.

Any MW people who would like to encourage this to take place, please
let us know why, how and if possible. Two TS Wireless tech support
people, including Adam from F2A are on this list.

Cheers,
andrew

---

:__The skies are alive with the sound of GPS

Saturday, 3 August, saw the first implementation of generative
streams, live re-composing ambient sound pieces over TS Wireless.

Memory Effect is an emergent series of compositions derived from GPS
coordinates and anecdotal sonic references to a sense of "place" and
one's temporal relationship to scalable references marked out by
GPS receivers and the satellites they receive data from.

Memory Effect is composed by Andrew Garton and produced in
collaboration with Justina Curtis.

Select either Wireless or Internet streams from:

http://www.toysatellite.org/wireless/

This project would not be possible without support from TAO/SSEYO Ltd,
United Kingdom.

   __Finding TS Wireless

   Line of Site Location:

   S   37° 47.466'
   E  144° 59.049'

   Within 2-3km radius of 124 Queens Pde,
   Fitzroy North,
   Melb, Australia

   http://www.nodedb.com/australia/vic/melbourne/view.php?nodeid=163

   Access details via http://www.toysatellite.org/wireless/

   __What do you need?

   1. An 802.11b wireless card if you are within 30-40 meters of TS
      Wireless.

   2. A suitable directional antenna connected to an 802.11b wireless
      card.

   3. An audio player that can retrieve MP3 audio streams.

   __More information

   1. Melbourne Wireless
      http://www.wireless.org.au

   2. TS Wireless
      http://www.toysatellite.org/wireless/

TS Wireless is a community networking project from Toy Satellite in
collaboration with free2air.org and c2o (Community Communications
Online).