Critical Systems & ISM (was RE: [MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless 'cloud' may offer silver lining Or is it just 'pie-in-the-sky' technology?)

lkhoo at csc.com.au lkhoo at csc.com.au
Mon Aug 5 11:22:31 EST 2002

>Speaking of this, has any one noticed the antennas on top of a lot of
>traffic lights recently??

>I can't think of any specific intersections at the moment, but I've seen
>some.

Yes! I've seen them everywhere and i've always wondered what they were!
They are everywhere in the city. From memory I think there is one on the
corner of Collins and Queen? Opposite the book shop.

I saw one yesterday day and it looked like a jumbo omni (~ 3m+ high).

I actually found that one of my sites had a heap of wireless stuff
installed and I couldn't even tell without really looking for them. They
had really small flat panel antenna's. They were about 2cm x 10cm x 5mm and
were placed on the corners of hall ways etc. These were then hooked into
near by AP's.

Lucas

This email, including any attachments, is intended only for use by the
addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or personal information and
may also be the subject of legal privilege. Any personal information
contained in this email is not to be used or disclosed for any purpose
other than the purpose for which you have received it. If you are not the
intended recipient, you must not disclose or use the information contained
in it. In this case, please let me know by return email, delete the message
permanently from your system and destroy any copies.

|---------+---------------------------------->
|         |           "Jason Clarke"         |
|         |           <midwaym19 at ozemail.com.|
|         |           au>                    |
|         |           Sent by:               |
|         |           owner-melbwireless at wire|
|         |           less.org.au            |
|         |                                  |
|         |                                  |
|         |           05/08/2002 11:12 AM    |
|         |                                  |
|---------+---------------------------------->
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                            |
  |        To:      <melbwireless at wireless.org.au>                                                                             |
  |        cc:                                                                                                                 |
  |        Subject: Re: Critical Systems & ISM (was RE: [MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless  'cloud' may offer silver lining Or is it just |
  |        'pie-in-the-sky'  technology?)                                                                                      |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Speaking of this, has any one noticed the antennas on top of a lot of
traffic lights recently??

I can't think of any specific intersections at the moment, but I've seen
some.

> There are many critical systems that operate ISM band gear. Your local
> Hospital is full of it. The Military use it too, amongst many other
> Government organisations. Yes, they must all be prepared to receive
> intinerant interference, however if due to poor engineering of another
> system, OR deliberate interference, then its a problem not neccesarily
> (sp?)for the system being interfered with.
> IF a Hospital receives continual interference, it will be investigated if
> they complain. Luckily for us, our wireless population density will
> probably never get as bad as the U.S. That means our interference
problems
> should be
> rare....with a bit of luck :-).

And planning :-)