Critical Systems & ISM (was RE: [MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless 'cloud' may offer silver lining Or is it just 'pie-in-the-sky' technology?)

Radio Tech radio at dodo.com.au
Mon Aug 5 11:11:52 EST 2002

At 10:25 AM 8/5/02 +1000, Luke wrote:
>You guys wouldn't believe the number of ISP's and other data-dependant
>businesses that rely on WLAN links for their major links!  Austar on the
>Gold Coast used to use a link from Robina to their TX site (where the POP
>was) for yonks!  Hack that one for some industrial terrorism.

There are many critical systems that operate ISM band gear. Your local
Hospital is full of it. The Military use it too, amongst many other
Government organisations. Yes, they must all be prepared to receive
intinerant interference, however if due to poor engineering of another
system, OR deliberate interference, then its a problem not neccesarily
(sp?)for the system being interfered with.
IF a Hospital receives continual interference, it will be investigated if
they complain. Luckily for us, our wireless population density will
probably never get as bad as the U.S. That means our interference problems
should be
rare....with a bit of luck :-).

Jack
Rockhampton